Saturday, October 17, 2009

Coralife 28w Light


My original idea was to get an incandescent light and use those curly fluorescent bulbs. I went to purchase this setup and found the lights were all full hoods. I didn't really want that, what I wanted was a light strip and a glass top. I bought the top and went to the truck. I opened it up and realized it was the wrong size!

Now, I have a problem with shopping. If I go out, hassle with parking, and annoying store clerks only to find that what I wanted isn't available I get irritated. Especially since I can get online and have all the stuff delivered to me!

Again, I decided that buying the original light choice might not be the best idea. All my reading just confused me on whether the light with the curly bulbs would provide enough light for the plants. I ended up deciding on a Coralife 28w light. When I got it, I noticed 2 things;
  1. The bulb was a 50/50 with the bluish light for marine tanks.
  2. The light didn't fit on a 10g tank like it should. It's "lips" fit perfectly on the side rails. What this means is, the lips sat ON the side, not outside of it.
I had to loosen the side screws almost all the way to get the lips to grasp the sides of the tank. But this was an accident waiting to happen. I ended up ordering legs that raise the light above the tank. In this case, I HAD to order them because no place local sold them. I also ordered a different bulb for freshwater plants. Overall, I spent over $70 on the light...which means it would have been cheaper to order a US Currents light with a moon light LED instead. Live and learn...

The light works fine, just cost about $40 more than I wanted to spend on this tank.

2 comments:

  1. I bought that US Currents light with the moonlight bonus. It fit my oddly shaped tank. I still like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grats! That light looked pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete